Community 2000 Annual Schedule of EventsTri-County Mental Health Services sponsors in Community 2000 teams throughout Clay, Platte and Ray counties. These grassroots organizations sponsor local events and target activities to promote healthy communities. The following Northland-wide events are scheduled each year. For up-to-date information, call Tri-County Mental Health Services at (816) 468-0400.
The Northland Coalition usually (depending if the room is available) meets on the third Wednesday of each month, 11:30 AM at the Maple Woods Human Service Building, 3100 NE 83rd Street, Upstairs Conference Room. Lunch is provided at no cost. Please RSVP for each meeting you will be attending at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-468-7088 x301.
Below is the list of meeting dates for 2006.
- February 8th
- March 8th
- April 12th
- May 17th
- June 21st
- July 19th
- September 20th
- October 18th
- November 15th
- December 13th
The Northland Coalition uses a variety of programs to educate and motivate the community. Each program is purposefully designed to target a specific group with the educational message relevant to them. Below is a list of programs hosted by the Northland Coalition.
Northland Coalition Programs
Mock Court High School Program 18 Facing 15, Mock Court Trail
- Develop a greater understanding of the legal and personal consequences of underage use of alcohol
- Develop appreciation and respect for the law, court procedures, and the judicial system
- Increase understating of their legal rights and responsibilities
Northland “Go for the Grand” 7th Grade Program
- Students learn how and where to find accurate information on alcohol, tobacco and other drugs on the internet and discover the harmful effects of substance abuse.
- Students learn of local resources to turn to of they have an alcohol, tobacco or other drug concerns or questions.
- Students learn the importance of making positive life choices
Community Breakfast and Day Prevention Conference
- Begins with a Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast. The breakfast serves to honor and recognize volunteers and major program contributors. After the breakfast, a series of workshops are offered that target specific segments of the community and featured prevention strategies specific to those segments.
Those Who Host Lose the Most;
- Don’t be a Party to Teenage Drinking Is a social marketing campaign that emphasizes the legal and liability ramifications of contributing to underage drinking, the biological rationale behind the legal drinking age, and enforces a social norm that adults should not supply alcohol to minors or allow underage drinking. This program targets parents and other adults who provide, or knowingly allow minors to consume alcohol and indirectly impacts minors.
Safe Prom / Graduation Partnership Capture Memories . . . Not Regret . . . Celebrate Sober!
- A companion program to THW Safe Prom is focused on Proms and Graduations in the Northland area. To keep these events safe the Northland Coalition works with alcohol retailers, high schools, florist, formal wear merchants, hotel and motel managers, law enforcement, owners/operators of limousine services, and prosecuting attorneys to educate and help prevent underage drinking and illegal activities at parties involving minors. Northland Coalition Vision: The Northland Communities will be healthy and safe environments in which to raise children.